A sci-fi nation roleplay focusing on interstellar empires and their interactions

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I Dreampt I had a Little Death, but Camed for the Big Sleep

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Inada

PostSubject: Re: I Dreampt I had a Little Death, but Camed for the Big Sleep   Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:11 pm

There was a momentary pause before the intercom in the locker room crackled to life. The voice on the other end was as melodious as any other indema's, but firm as well. Deeper within the ship, Quo was peering intently at the security feed.

"This is Quo, captain of the Chiselwing. I am the firsthatched of my clutch and a veteran of the Iliska Armada. I have been entrusted to oversee contact between the Iliska and your civilization by the Arkos herself."

The trio of indema who had been spending the last few hours communicating with the khash listened intently to the words of their captain, ears perking up. Ila even looked up towards the speaker.

"I believe that communication has progressed far enough that I may deliver this message; on behalf of the Arkos, I am to offer your people the promise of further communication and the ear of Arkos Viy-Kya II in future matters concerning our two civilizations. The void is expansive, and the chance to cooperate with a fellow point of light in the darkness is always welcome."

Quo paused, tapping her talons against the control console and contemplating her next words.

"I would also like to personally address whoever my counterpart aboard the 'worldship' is and to say that I appreciate their patience and understanding during these exchanges. I apologize for whatever confusion our unexpected arrival may have caused, as well as the unintentional damage to the satellite near our emergence point."

"Hopefully," she added, "Your role in the history of these events will be remembered well. That is all."

The intercom clicked and went silent, leaving Rir, Ila, and Hva to turn their attention back to Li and the linguist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissingAxis

PostSubject: Re: I Dreampt I had a Little Death, but Camed for the Big Sleep   Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Li listened to the linguist's half dozen heads carefully, and Lilykima relayed the message to Shadisiik through her Lykima. There were a couple of ksecs of silence from Li.

"Our Master's reply is long and contains many concepts that do not translate well, so I will keep the reply brief. The Master accepts your offer in the name of the Worldship I Dreampt I Had A Little Death, but regrets that he can not speak for the Emergency as a whole as of this time."

---

In truth, Shadisiik had been brief, leaving Lilykima to improvise.

"Don't let us get caught by wolves."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Inada

PostSubject: Re: I Dreampt I had a Little Death, but Camed for the Big Sleep   Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:32 pm

The Chiselwing had not been idle during the goings-on. While the researchers worked to unravel the language barrier between them and the khash, the ship's camera arrays and antenna had been greedily drinking in everything they could, sweeping the system. Radio signals, heat traces, anything of note would be assimilated and saved to the computer stacks hidden deep within the scout.

Slowly, the indema were building a map of the system.

Meanwhile, Rir had turned the conversation towards cultural exchange; she spoke of the bustling city-states and their craftsmen and apprenticeships, explained how she had been hatched into nobility and raised since then for duties such as these, how her House sang in the chorus of the Iliska, how Viy-Kya II's family line held dominion over all her kin.

She neglected to bring up the dissenting Houses of nobility that still existed on Hwaa, how the Iliska was still wrapped up in skirmishes with those not part of the chorus. The indema abandoned to the quarantine zone were given no mention.

These omissions were calculated, but they also came naturally; the Iliska was founded on a position of strength, and acknowledging its weaknesses was done only grudgingly by those not tasked with considering them more carefully. The Chiselwing's mission here had been made clear: if retaining the Iliska's position of strength meant omission, then those omissions must be made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissingAxis

PostSubject: Re: I Dreampt I had a Little Death, but Camed for the Big Sleep   Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:04 pm

"It seems we have much in common," Blabberbabblerhissis translated. Lilykima continued speaking even as the linguist spoke over her. She continued on, noting the Emergency's own collection of city-states and explaining that their 'nobility' were simply masters of statecraft or related skills, such as the rich steward-princes of the Green Isles or the warlords of old in the Firelands.

Lilykima touched lightly on the Emergency's history, glazing over the flensers and briefly mentioning the Flenser, and his philosophy of all above the one. "Cutter was a great man, and it is because of him we can be among the stars as one, and meet you as a united whole. Before, the city-states fought and sabotaged each other's efforts, but Cutter came and sculpted the remains of the war into something useful, and so gave us unity."

The master neglected to go to into details, fearing that explaining Focus and Flenser's methods may frighten a singleton species like the iliska, with their individual-bodied minds.

They are so vulnerable, these iliska. A single jab of my Li's claw would take a life, and yet they cannot do the same to me. Where they have combined the capabilities of two bodies into one, they have also handicapped themselves; how can two claws hope to compare to four?

Slowly, she was picking up on the iliska language herself, and she expected they would do the same for the khash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Dreampt I had a Little Death, but Camed for the Big Sleep   

Back to top Go down

I Dreampt I had a Little Death, but Camed for the Big Sleep
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2